What started for Fairey with an absurd sticker he created in 1989 while studying at the Rhode Island School of Design has since evolved into a worldwide street art campaign. Heidegger describes this as Phenomenology – “the process of letting things manifest themselves.”
Deeply embedded with Fairey’s DNA, Studio Number One challenges the way people think about their surroundings and questions the purpose. In the name of communication and observation, the medium is the message.
SNO applies this creative and promotional ethos wherever art and enterprise intersect. Our mission is simple, to change the way people experience media and the urban landscape. And by media, we really mean everything — every tangible aspect of a brand — from its name to its products and absolutely everything in-between. Advertising means nothing if a brand’s overarching story isn’t strongly communicated at every level and opportunities to connect with its audience is overlooked or undervalued. When all interactions reinforce a unique and compelling brand story, Phenomenology is defined.
Studio Number One sports a crew of diverse and experienced characters. Get to know us a bit through our photographic series “Tools of the Trade,” where each member of the team shares their list of essentials.
SHEPARD FAIREY // Creative Director
1. OBEY Clothing Leather Jacket
2. Adidas Shoes
3. Apple 13" Macbook Pro
4. ObeyGiant Stickers
5. X-ACTO Knife
6. Flash Drive
7. Hard Drive
8. Blood Glucose Monitor Kit
9. Comme des Garçons Wallet
10. Sex Pistols “Never Mind the Bollocks” LP
ANNIE PHAM // Account Director
1. Maximo Pham
2. Pink Himalayan Salt Lamp
3. Belle and Sebastian “Tigermilk” LP
4. Los Angeles Dodgers Echo Park Community Night T-Shirt
5. Nalgene Water Bottle
6. Green Smoothie
7. Metal Straw
8. Bon Appetit Magazine
9. Macbook Air
10. iPhone X
IAN STOUFER // Art Director
1. Total Control: Typical System
2. Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short
Life of Darby Crash and the Germs
3. Stones to ward off evil spirits
4. Sand Beach cassette
5. Fiele Mentha fragrance
6. Sony a5000 camera
7. Tim Noble & Sue Webster: Wasted Youth
8. Girlfriend in a Coma by Douglas Coupland
THOMAS WIMBERLY // Graphic Designer
1. Dad’s drafting ruler
2. Bricks and Bombs sticker
3. Pocket notebook
4. Bulldog carving
7. X-ACTO knife and Apple Pencil
8. “The Portable Henry Rollins” by Henry Rollins
9. “Bad Brains” self-titled album
10. Ipad Pro
MARIN TAKESHITA // Social Media Specialist
1. Surfboard leash
2. Milky iPhone 8+
3. Pastel blue and pink hair dye
4. Red beret
5. Yerba mate
6. Rock climbing chalk
7. In Rainbows by Radiohead on vinyl
8. Brown rice + umeboshi (Japanese salted plum)
10. “in almost every picture.” By Erik Kessels / Hironori Akutagawa
VICTORIA YARNISH // Supervising Director
1. Pretzel (the dog) in his Dodger’s t-shirt.
2. Yeti Rambler 20 oz. tumbler with reusable straw.
3. Handmade Ceramic Eucalyptus candle made by me and my boyfriend Troy.
4. Gemini matches from The Social Type.
5. Survival and Cross jump rope - my go-to jumprope (I have to sweat to have a clear mind for work and life).
6. Polaroid Originals: 600 Square Camera - Capturing life one non-digital photo at a time.
7. Journal and OBEY pen to keep track of thoughts, ideas and life.
8. Dante’s Divine Comedy Penguin deluxe edition translated by Robin Kirkpatrick - I collect various editions and translations of Dante’s masterpiece.
9. Macbook Air - literally with me in every meeting ever.
10. Keyboard - Truth be told my other keyboard/synth, a MicroKorg, is my go-to but I grabbed this one from my living room because it was more convenient. I make sound.
CAMILLA LONIS // Design Director
2. Swiss Army Knife
3. 60’s Brass Lighter
4. One of Three Tacos
5. Sharpies and Pens
6. Face Paint
7. Tiger Stone
9. Old Spice
10. Obey Stickers
11. Apple 15” Macbook Pro
FRANCISCO REYES, JR. // Senior Graphic Designer
1. Obey Clothing Beanie
2. 201 Volvo S40 Keys
3. Apple 13” Macbook Pro
4. Bell & Oaj Leather Wallet
5. Electric Sunglasses
7. Obey Clothing Pen
10. Cashew Cookie Lärabar
11. Trader Joe’s Almonds
12. iPhone 7
13. Charging cable and USBs
14. Chewing gum
16. Never Made stickers
STEPHANIE LOUISE ENCISO // Jr. Graphic Designer
1. Rubylith/ Tracing paper
2. OG Andre Stickers
4. Nail Clippers
5. Natural deodorant
6. Gloria’s favorite toy
8. Makeup/pencil bag
10. Women's day March pin
13. Gloria Enciso <3